Monday, August 13, 2018

China - last day in Guangzhou (4th in a series)


Today is a continuation in a series on cultural exchange travel to China by DreamFinder travel agent Kim Merrill

Last night was the first night I appear to have conquered my jet lag and slept all night without waking up.  We had a leisurely morning and didn’t have to queue up for the bus until 9:30 am. Today’s agenda had us picking up some of the swimmers from the Chinese team and touring local sites with them.

Our route today took us into the very modern city center.  We hadn’t been thru this particular area yet, so it was nice to see some different architecture.  The buildings were very ultra-modern and cutting edge in terms of design.  We saw the tallest structure in Guangzhou, coming in at a total height of 600 meters after including the obligatory spire that was 150 meters in height. Two other buildings (both finance centers) log in at the #8 and #24 tallest buildings in the world, with one of them apparently the most expensive ever built.  I’m trying to fact check that data, but while I was able to get the rankings, in trying to search more details, I’m no longer able to search.  Google is blocked here entirely (no gmail, people!) and apparently the one search I did on Bing was enough to shut that down too.  The cultural/governmental differences are quite evident.

Our destination was the Guangzhou Museum and the building was amazing, very cubic and angular.  We only had an hour here and had to power-walk to get in some of the exhibits.  We started on the 4th floor and worked our way down.   The exhibits covered provincial ancient life, wood carving (VERY elaborate), pottery from many eras (yes, we saw Ming Dynasty vases) and calligraphy (which we actually never found in spite of the signs).  I could have spent hours in there.

We headed to lunch at a restaurant that was located in a (mostly) pedestrian market area.  Lunch was served family-style and I ended up sitting next to a very pleasant young man who was very helpful with identifying foods.  His English was very good, and when we had a few glitches with communication, he had a handy-dandy app on his phone that would type out the intended word after he typed it in with the Chinese characters.  “Bread” was a word that was difficult for him to pronounce, but the app made it easy to understand.  We talked about the differences in meals between American families and Chinese families.  Both are family-style dining, but the “how” of it is a bit different.  They bring out a LOT of dishes..I was not able to ascertain how they determine the number that was selected.  It was entirely too much food for the people at our table and there were a lot of leftovers.  One thing I did notice….kids avoid some vegetables in all cultures.  Broccoli was well received.  Bok Choy, mushrooms, and eggplant?  Not so much.

After lunch, we all had time to walk the market.  Anyone who knows me knows that I am a very specific shopper and the idea of a crowded foreign street market with bartering is NOT my thing.  At all.  Having been to markets all over the world, today I was actually surprised that it was not as crowded as I thought it would be (La Rambla in Barcelona was much worse).  That being said, I followed my group around and avoided going into the shops as that was entirely too space-limited for me.  Had my new friends not wanted to go around and look, I would have headed to Starbucks and hid until we had to meet for the bus.  My daughter actually braved the crowds and bought a few items for her friends back home.  I noticed that there was a lot offered in the way of t-shirts with slogans in English (which I thought was strange as there were not any other visible Americans around).  These slogans made no sense, if they are funny the translation is lost.

Speaking of other Americans, while we were waiting for a bus to come get us from the market, there was a guy a wee bit too close for my comfort, so I turned around and smiled and said hello.  Turns out he was from Houston (ethnically speaking he did not stick out like we do) and he literally was wondering if he was missing something as our “crowd” was congregating.  We chatted a bit about the reasons why we each were here and he literally was here to sightsee (we have seen lots of tour groups).  It’s worthwhile to take in your surrounding and at least smile at people (more on this in a sec).

Five Rams Statue
We left and headed to the Five Rams statue in Yuexiu Park.  This statue is the emblem, if you will, of the city of Guangzhou.  Per our guide, the city had several disasters and the rams were built to “protect” the city and because of this the hardships abated and the city was once again prosperous (I may have butchered the legend, but you get the idea). After picture opportunities, during which WE became the sight to see (seriously, the Chinese tourists were taking pictures of US and trying to get into our pictures), we headed back to the hotel to rest and get ready for our dinner cruise on the river tonight.

Because my preparation will consist simply of putting on my dress and sandals, I headed to the lounge to have a glass of wine and write this blog.  Picking back up on the looking at your surroundings comment above, I noticed a couple at a nearby table doing a recording with a microphone.  The gentleman eventually walked by me and I asked if they were recording a podcast.  He was kind of surprised, but that was, in fact, what they were doing.  They were from the Congo and were here for his work (marketing) and she was a gospel singer.  He asked why I was here and as some of the swimmers were in the pool, he had seen some of why we were here already. You never know who you are going to meet, or their story, and I cannot emphasize enough to smile and say hello or wave. 

Tomorrow we are heading to Beijing.  Our tour guide is coming with us, which is wonderful.  He has gotten to know us and is very knowledgeable and easy to understand. The weather there is a LOT colder, more reminiscent of home (Washington).  The news this morning was of the SNOW they had in Beijing and the trade war.  Sigh.  It should not be snowing tomorrow but I will need to put on socks (I’ve been in shorts and flip flops since we arrived).

Stay tuned—more on Beijing to come!  Until then Huítóu jiàn (see you later)



No comments:

Post a Comment