Saturday, August 4, 2018

China? Why yes please...(part 1)

First in a series of blogs by DreamFinder Travel agent Kim Merrill on heading to China:

My job as a travel agent, essentially, is to participate in planning other people’s vacations to the fullest extent they want me to participate.  I am, admittedly, a bit of a control freak when it comes to details, so when it comes to planning my own travels I have my own set of planning criteria, lists, and spreadsheets that usually materialize over the time from the beginning planning stages to booking the vacation, to traveling.

Today, I actually am embarking on a completely different kind of vacation….one that I had ZERO input on planning.  None. Zip.  Zilch. (YIKES!!) and I'm going to do a few blogs on it along the way.

My daughter was invited to participate in a cultural exchange trip to China last November as part of her high school swimming.  If any of you have read any of my previous blogs, you can figure that letting her go see new things without me wouldn’t go over so well.  So…….I volunteered to chaperone.  I wanted to experience China and this would be a good, comfortable way to do this (I think!!).

The group that organizes this exchange has been doing this for more than 20 years with multiple trips per year over a few different sports focuses.  They have this down-pat and have all the planning done.  They have guides that they have used for years on-site and have hour-by-hour itineraries ready to go.  My job?  To help corral kids and make sure that our part of the group gets to where they need to be when they need to be there. 

China VisaAs part of the pre-trip process, our Visas were obtained for us by one of the group leaders.  They physically took our passports to the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco to get our Visas put in our passports.  For me, this meant that I was without my passport for an entire month.  This DID cause quite a bit of anxiety for me as I’m usually the one collecting and holding on to everyone’s stuff. I am so glad that part is over!

So, we are at the airport now and getting ready to board our plane.  Our flight is non-stop to Beijing and then a connection to Guangzhou.  I’ll be posting as much as I can, but with the unknown internet situation and a 15 hour time difference, keep checking back for an update. -- Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment